Top Lakes in Itasca County
Major Rivers in Itasca County
Communities in Itasca County
Itasca County, located in northern Minnesota, is known for its pristine lakes and forests, making it an ideal destination for outdoor enthusiasts. Here’s a comprehensive outdoor guide to help you make the most of your visit to Itasca County’s lakes.
- Go Fishing: Itasca County is home to over 1,000 lakes, including popular fishing destinations like Lake Winnibigoshish, Leech Lake, and Pokegama Lake. You can fish for walleye, northern pike, bass, and panfish in these lakes, or hire a guide to take you to some of the area’s lesser-known fishing spots.
- Go Hiking: Itasca County is home to several excellent hiking trails, including the North Country National Scenic Trail, which runs through the county. Other popular trails include the Cut Foot Sioux Trail, the Suomi Hills Trail, and the Migizi Trail.
- Visit Chippewa National Forest: Chippewa National Forest covers over 660,000 acres and is home to several lakes, including Cass Lake and Pike Bay. Visitors can hike, bike, or explore the forest’s lakes and streams by canoe or kayak.
- Go Birding: Itasca County is home to several excellent birding destinations, including the Sax-Zim Bog, a 300-square-mile wetland area that is home to over 240 bird species. Other popular birding spots include the Mississippi River and the Chippewa National Forest.
- Take a Scenic Drive: Itasca County is home to several scenic drives, including the Edge of the Wilderness Scenic Byway, which runs for 47 miles through the heart of the Chippewa National Forest. The drive offers stunning views of the region’s lakes, forests, and wildlife.
- Go Camping: Itasca County is home to several excellent camping destinations, including Itasca State Park, which offers a range of camping options, including tent and RV camping, as well as cabins. Other popular camping destinations include the Chippewa National Forest and the George Washington State Forest.
In addition to these activities, Itasca County also offers a range of dining, shopping, and lodging options, making it a great destination for a weekend getaway or a longer vacation. Whether you’re interested in exploring the natural beauty of the region or just looking for a relaxing getaway, Itasca County’s lakes have something for everyone.