Top Lakes in Saint Louis County
Major Rivers in Saint Louis County
Communities in Saint Louis County
Saint Louis County in northeastern Minnesota is known for its stunning lakes and abundant outdoor recreation opportunities. Here is a comprehensive outdoor guide to help you make the most of your visit to Saint Louis County’s lakes:
- Visit Lake Vermilion: Lake Vermilion is one of the largest and most popular lakes in the region, known for its clear blue waters and excellent fishing. Visitors can fish for walleye, bass, northern pike, and musky, or enjoy boating, water skiing, and swimming. The lake also offers several public beaches and camping facilities.
- Explore the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness: The Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness is a vast wilderness area located in the Superior National Forest. Visitors can explore the area’s pristine lakes and rivers by canoe or kayak, or hike on one of the many trails. The area is known for its stunning scenery and abundant wildlife, including moose, wolves, and bears.
- Go Fishing: In addition to Lake Vermilion, Saint Louis County is home to several other great fishing lakes, including Burntside Lake, Crane Lake, and Kabetogama Lake. Visitors can hire a fishing guide or charter, or explore the lakes on their own. Be sure to obtain a fishing license and check the DNR fishing regulations for each lake.
- Visit the Soudan Underground Mine State Park: The Soudan Underground Mine State Park offers visitors a chance to explore one of the oldest and deepest iron mines in Minnesota. Visitors can take a tour of the mine, explore the park’s hiking trails, or go on a scenic boat tour of the nearby Lake Vermilion.
- Go Hiking: Saint Louis County is home to several great hiking trails, including the Superior Hiking Trail, which offers over 300 miles of scenic hiking through the Superior National Forest. The county also has several state parks with hiking trails, including Gooseberry Falls State Park and Tettegouche State Park.
- Visit the International Wolf Center: The International Wolf Center is located in Ely, Minnesota and offers visitors a chance to learn about wolves and their role in the ecosystem. The center has several exhibits and programs, including live wolf exhibits and guided wolf observation trips.
Saint Louis County’s lakes offer visitors a wide range of outdoor activities, from fishing and boating to hiking and wildlife viewing. Whether you’re looking for a relaxing getaway or an adventurous outdoor experience, Saint Louis County’s lakes have something for everyone.