Top Lakes in Ramsey County
Major Rivers in Ramsey County
Communities in Ramsey County
Ramsey County, located in Minnesota, is home to several lakes that offer a range of outdoor recreational opportunities. Here is a comprehensive outdoor guide to help you explore and enjoy the lakes in Ramsey County:
- Lake Phalen: Lake Phalen is a popular destination for outdoor activities in St. Paul, the county seat of Ramsey County. The lake provides opportunities for fishing, with species such as crappie, walleye, bass, and sunfish. Rent a canoe, kayak, or paddleboard from the Lake Phalen Boat Rental and explore the calm waters. The lake features a sandy beach for swimming, picnic areas, and trails for hiking and biking.
- Como Lake: Como Lake, located in Como Park in St. Paul, offers a scenic setting for outdoor recreation. The lake provides fishing opportunities for species such as bluegill, crappie, and bass. Explore the lake by renting a paddleboat, canoe, or kayak from the Como Park Pavilion. The park also offers picnic areas, a playground, walking paths, and a nearby zoo, making it a great destination for a family outing.
- Lake McCarrons: Lake McCarrons, situated in Roseville, is another popular spot for outdoor activities. The lake offers fishing for species such as crappie, bluegill, and bass. There is a public boat launch for those interested in boating or water sports. The lake is surrounded by a park that features picnic areas, playgrounds, and walking trails, providing opportunities for relaxation and recreation.
- Turtle Lake: Turtle Lake, located in Shoreview, is a smaller lake that offers a tranquil setting for outdoor enthusiasts. The lake provides fishing opportunities for species such as northern pike, bluegill, and bass. Explore the lake by kayak or canoe, or enjoy a peaceful stroll along the walking trails that surround the lake. Turtle Lake Park offers picnic areas, a playground, and a beach for swimming.
- Long Lake: Long Lake, situated in New Brighton, is a picturesque lake that provides fishing opportunities for species such as bass, northern pike, and panfish. The lake features a public boat launch, allowing boaters to explore its waters. Enjoy a picnic at Long Lake Park, which offers picnic areas, walking trails, and a beach for swimming.
- Winter Activities: During winter, the lakes in Ramsey County offer opportunities for ice fishing, ice skating, and other winter sports. Check ice conditions and ensure they are safe before venturing out. Como Park features an outdoor ice rink for ice skating enthusiasts.
Tips for Exploring Ramsey County Lakes:
- Check fishing regulations and obtain the necessary fishing license before fishing.
- Respect wildlife and their habitats while enjoying the lakes.
- Follow park rules and guidelines, including any restrictions on boating and swimming.
- Pack essentials such as sunscreen, insect repellent, drinking water, and snacks.
- Dispose of waste properly and practice Leave No Trace principles.
Exploring the lakes of Ramsey County allows you to connect with nature, enjoy outdoor activities, and appreciate the beauty of Minnesota’s natural landscapes. Whether you’re fishing, boating, hiking, or simply enjoying a picnic by the water, these lakes provide opportunities for relaxation and recreation.