Top Lakes in Washington County
Major Rivers in Washington County
Communities in Washington County
Washington County’s lakes provide a wide range of outdoor activities, including fishing, boating, swimming, and picnicking. Whether you are a passionate angler, a boating enthusiast, or simply seeking a peaceful natural setting, the lakes in Washington County offer diverse recreational opportunities and picturesque surroundings.
- White Bear Lake: White Bear Lake is a prominent lake located in the city of White Bear Lake in Washington County. With a surface area of approximately 2,428 acres, it offers a variety of recreational activities. The lake is well-known for its fishing opportunities, with species such as walleye, northern pike, bass, and panfish available. White Bear Lake also provides ample space for boating, water skiing, and sailing. Public boat launches, beaches, and parks are available for access and picnicking.
- Forest Lake: Forest Lake is another popular lake situated in the cities of Forest Lake and Columbus in Washington County. Covering about 2,270 acres, it offers excellent fishing opportunities for species such as walleye, northern pike, bass, and panfish. The lake has several public boat launches and is suitable for boating, water sports, and kayaking. Forest Lake also has beaches and parks for swimming and picnicking.
- Big Marine Lake: Big Marine Lake is a picturesque lake located in Marine on St. Croix in Washington County. It spans approximately 1,800 acres and is known for its peaceful ambiance and beautiful scenery. Anglers can target species such as walleye, northern pike, bass, and panfish. The lake allows motorized boats and offers public boat access points. Additionally, Big Marine Park Reserve provides hiking trails, picnic areas, and a swimming beach.
- Square Lake: Square Lake is a smaller lake situated in the city of Stillwater in Washington County. Covering around 203 acres, it offers a tranquil setting for fishing and boating. Anglers can catch species such as walleye, northern pike, bass, and panfish. Square Lake permits non-motorized watercraft like canoes and kayaks. The lake also features a public boat launch and a swimming beach.
- Lake Elmo: Lake Elmo is a scenic lake located in the city of Lake Elmo in Washington County. It spans approximately 257 acres and provides opportunities for fishing, boating, and wildlife viewing. Anglers can target species such as walleye, northern pike, bass, and panfish. The lake allows non-motorized watercraft, making it suitable for canoeing and kayaking. Lake Elmo Park Reserve offers hiking trails, picnic areas, and swimming opportunities.
- Check fishing regulations and obtain the necessary fishing license before fishing in Washington County lakes.
- Familiarize yourself with any specific rules or restrictions for each lake, including boating regulations and watercraft permits.
- Practice water safety and wear life jackets when participating in water activities.
- Respect private property and follow any posted signs or guidelines.
- Pack essential items such as sunscreen, insect repellent, drinking water, and snacks.
- Dispose of trash properly and leave the lakes and surrounding areas clean.